Why You Should Choose a Career in Hypnotherapy
My career as a hypnotherapist began back in 2009. I was 25 years old at the time and had been drifting from job to job, wondering what I should do with my life. I knew that I wanted to help people and had been using therapeutic skills in some of my previous roles. So, I decided to become a counsellor and enrolled on a course with Chrysalis.
There was a one-year hypnotherapy qualification included that I thought might be interesting. I didn’t know anything about hypnotherapy at the time other than what I had seen on television shows such as Little Britain and was very much set on counselling becoming the career. However, after the first class on my Chrysalis course, I was hooked on hypnotherapy and knew that was what I wanted to do.
Fast forward to the present day and I’m a full-time hypnotherapist with a thriving clinic in a busy town centre location. I did also qualify as a counsellor but it’s hypnotherapy that became the career I love.
Here are the reasons why you should choose a career in hypnotherapy too.
- There’s much more to hypnotherapy than meets the eye. I discovered this at my first hypnotherapy class and it’s a common theme among the students I teach now. Hypnotherapy is often seen as ‘hocus pocus’ and entertainment shows that feature hypnosis has a lot to answer for. The truth is that hypnotherapy is a powerful, valuable process that can help people to make positive, lasting changes in their lives. Hypnosis helps people with a variety of issues and as a hypnotherapist, you get to play an important part in that progression.
- There is no better feeling than knowing you have genuinely helped someone to achieve what they once thought was impossible. Whether it’s helping someone to quit smoking after twenty years of puffing on cigarettes, lose ten stone after having tried every diet going, or conquer a phobia that’s been terrifying them for as long as they can remember, that warm feeling you get inside when you’ve helped someone in such a profound way never gets boring. Being a hypnotherapist is an incredibly rewarding role and you’ll feel inspired every single morning when you wake up.
- You get to be your own boss and manage your own workload. Most hypnotherapists are self-employed and although that can seem like a scary prospect, it could be one the best things you ever do in your life. As a self-employed hypnotherapist, you get to be your own boss. You can decide what hours you work and how many clients you see. This makes it an ideal career for parents with children in school and anyone who is tired of the 9 – 5.
- The opportunities are endless. Being a hypnotherapist doesn’t just mean you get to work with clients to help them overcome a variety of issues. There are other opportunities available too. For example, because of my career in hypnotherapy, I now have the honour of being a tutor and training many new hypnotherapists each year. It’s also led to writing and speaking engagements. I’ve launched my own wellbeing brand that hosts a big event each year and many other opportunities have come my way too, such as achieving a book deal. The same can happen for you too. The limits are endless when you have a career in hypnotherapy.
- You can earn a good living. Wouldn’t it be great if you could have a career that you enjoy, feel completely fulfilled in and earn a decent living from? Although money should never be the motivation for doing anything, you do of course need to earn enough to pay the bills and have a decent standard of living. The good news is that a career as a hypnotherapist can help you to achieve that. By seeing just a few clients each week you can earn enough money to cover all your outgoings, with a bit left over to enjoy. If you get into a career in hypnotherapy to make money, you may find it doesn’t quite work out. However, if you do it for the right reasons you’ll soon find that you can reap the financial rewards while helping people to achieve genuine, lasting life changes.