- Part-Time Study- Only one classroom session per month always on a Saturday or Sunday between 10am-5pm
- Study at a venue near you. Find your closest venue here: Locations
- Only 8 hours home study per week
- No exams throughout
- No previous experience or qualification required to start any of our courses
- Weekly access to your allocated Tutor
- Hypnotherapy & Counselling Courses available
- Recommended Course- Level 5 Professional Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling Practise
There is a wealth of information that you will find useful within our Prospectus, the Prospectus acts as a guide in helping you choose which course is right for you. If you would like a 2019 Prospectus you can request one here PROSPECTUS
Transform your life today & Become a Counsellor with Chrysalis APPLY NOW
Please call 01278 401352 for more information
• You must be 19+ at point of enrolment on the course
• Entry into our first year is open to any adult who can demonstrate that they can understand the course materials, is ethical and responsible, and who wishes to make a difference to themselves and others by entering this field. If you have a desire to grow and to help others, we welcome your application.
• Direct Entry onto our second year is possible if you have a Level 3 qualification in counselling or some types of professional hypnotherapy qualification. This is assessed during your interview. You will need to take your certificates with you to interview.
• Entry onto our Level 6 course is normally at the point of passing our other courses.
• Every potential student will be required to attend an Interview with a qualified Counsellor. You can book in to an interview by completing an Application Form.
The Interview is your opportunity to ask any further questions you have regarding our courses and be advised as to how to proceed with your enrolment if you wish to continue on to a Chrysalis Course
Learn more about our Interview process with May Williams:
• As well as face to face work, you will be given a wide variety of regular assessed practical and theoretical modules.
• There is one homework assignment per month with an average of 30 hours reading and writing – approximately 8 hours per week.
• Many courses have practice groups which meet between modules.
• A personal tutor is available by phone in-between classes (at set contact times).
• Your client work will be appropriate to your chosen course and skill level and can range from supervised case studies to a placement depending on your chosen course.
• Our methods of assessing students are wide-ranging and fair, focusing on key practical skills. Chrysalis uses a system of independent second marking as well as using a highly qualified External Examiner to ensure quality and consistency.
• Each year, the final assessment is on your practical classroom work and work with clients and you will qualify if considered safe, ethical and competent at the level of your chosen course.
• Become a professional therapist or counsellor with good earning potential
• Start a new career or enhance your current career
• Work flexibly in a range of settings; employed, self-employed, full or part-time.
• Earn recognised and accredited qualifications
• Gain professional recognition through national professional associations & Be eligible to join an Accredited Register recognised by the
• Professional Standards Authority*
• Use your Chrysalis qualifications as a recognised route to Higher Education*
*subject to terms and conditions
• Embark upon personal growth and change in a safe, & professional setting
• Explore the nature of the human being – thoughts & feelings.
• Choose a rewarding and meaningful course of study
• Make friends & Meet others with similar interests
• Gain a sense of personal satisfaction and achievement
• Make a real difference to people’s lives
Yes. Chrysalis courses are fully accredited by either the National Counselling Society or National Hypnotherapy Society, which are both Accredited Register holders with the Professional Standards Authority.
It’s compulsory to join the Societies and maintain membership throughout training, as well as to join as a Registrant or Accredited Member on graduation (depending on course.) From there, you can progress to even higher levels of membership and recognition.
Joining a professional body gives our students a host of benefits, including; professional insurance and recognition, access to newsletters, journals and websites, peer support, reduced advertising rates and so on.
The Diploma in Counselling Skills & Theory (Dip CST.) is quality checked by the National Counselling Society. Our graduates join the NCS and gain Associate Membership upon completion.
The Level 5 Professional Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling Practice (Prof. Dip. PsyC) is fully accredited by the National Counselling Society – a prominent, national professional body. Our graduates may join the National Counselling Society as Accredited Members (MNCS Acc.) on completion of their courses. In addition, Chrysalis graduates, as members of our designated professional bodies, are eligible to join the Royal Society of Public Health (RSPH). If they progress professionally, senior members can become Fellows of the Royal Society of Public Health (FRSPH).
The Certificate in Hypnotherapy & Counselling Skills (Cert. Hyp CS) is fully accredited and recognised by the National Hypnotherapy Society, which is the UK's largest accrediting body for hypnotherapy and was instrumental in the establishment of National Occupational Standards for hypnotherapy. Our graduates join the HS as an automatic right as fully recognised, professional members ("MHS").
Will I be on an Accredited Register recognised by the Professional Standards Authority?
Yes. In 2010 the Government asked the Professional Standards Authority (which oversees organisations such as the General Medical Council, Health & Care Professions Council, and Nursing & Midwifery Council) to launch a system of Accredited Registers for professional associations who could meet the rigorous standards. The Accredited Register programme was launched in 2012 and it is now vital that counsellors and therapists are registered. The public is increasingly seeking only accredited registrants and the NHS is including the Accredited Register programme in its provision of services.
Chrysalis courses, where indicated, are your route to the all important status of being a Registrant on an Accredited Register which is now vital for your professional success.
Are Chrysalis Courses recognised by OFQUAL and are they on the RQF?
Yes. Where indicated, courses are recognised by OFQUAL via AIM Awards and are listed on the Regulated Qualifications Framework. Unlike other training providers who just issue their own “internal” qualifications, Chrysalis qualifications are externally recognised and credits can be transferred for further education.
You can see the full syllabus information for each course (using the course code) by searching the Ofqual Register.
On graduation from indicated courses, you will be eligible to gain accredited membership with the relevant bodies and, subject to terms and conditions, join an Accredited Register.
You’ll be able to use your qualifications as building blocks, taking your RQF credits elsewhere or progressing to Higher Education and postgraduate studies.
Career opportunities with a Chrysalis qualification can include; self-employment, whether working in a clinic or from home; employment in a variety of settings; enhancing your existing career; training and supervising, and a host of others. These opportunities can and should be combined to gain full use of your qualification.
It’s worth noting that job opportunities are generally available for counsellors. There are few, if any jobs available for hypnotherapists and the vast majority of hypnotherapists, therefore, work in private practice.
We can help you towards building a successful practice and ensure you understand all the relevant elements of using your qualification successfully.
Yes. Placements are compulsory within year 3 of our Level 5 Professional Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling Practice. You will need to achieve 100 hours of supervised practice.
Placements are arranged by the student, where supervision is not offered by the Placement Provider, students will need to arrange their own via The National Counselling Society. This is all fully explained within our 'Guide to Finding a Work Placement' provided to you during your studies.
Every person has a different experience to finding a placement, in essence, it’s the same as finding a new job as you need to apply, attend an interview and wait to be accepted.
There are many well-recognised organisations that have experience in the provision of placement opportunities and who have local branches. We advise you to write to these organisations as well as the smaller local centres for a greater chance of a response. It is also important for you to be flexible. You may prefer to work in a particular setting but the wider your application process the better the chances of success, it will also broaden your experience and chances are you will enjoy it.
Make sure you update your C.V and adapt your covering letters. It is better to tailor your C.V to the needs of the provider than to send out a generic application. We also recommend that you check Notice-boards and bulletins on Counselling Websites.
There are many different options when it comes to placements; the key is to decide where you want to go within the profession. We recommend that for support and guidance you should always initially approach your Tutor. We have a secondary support system at Head Office that can support your administrative needs, you can access us via our placement email address email@example.com.
Chrysalis will update the website as and when placement opportunities arrive and what placement providers we recommend.
Additional costs include your purchase of required texts and your travel expenses.
You will be required to join the relevant Professional Associations for your chosen courses and must pay their separate membership fees (currently these are £90-£100 per year) throughout your studies.
Students wishing to register with AIM Awards to receive AIM/Ofqual certification are required to pay a small separate fee on enrolment (currently £65 for year one) and for each year thereafter they require an AIM certificate.
If you’re on the 3 year Level 5 Professional Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling Practice you will need to budget, further down your studies, for the costs of attending a placement or in having supervision.