• Become a professional therapist or counsellor with good earning potential
• Start a new career or enhance your current career
• Work flexibly in a range of settings; employed, self-employed, full or part-time.
• Earn recognised and accredited qualifications
• Gain professional recognition through national professional associations & Be eligible to join an Accredited Register recognised by the
• Professional Standards Authority*
• Use your Chrysalis qualifications as a recognised route to Higher Education*
*subject to terms and conditions
• Embark upon personal growth and change in a safe, & professional setting
• Explore the nature of the human being – thoughts & feelings.
• Choose a rewarding and meaningful course of study
• Make friends & Meet others with similar interests
• Gain a sense of personal satisfaction and achievement
• Make a real difference to people’s lives
YOUR FIRST STEP
Chrysalis highly recommends that your first step in the process to discovering more and understanding your route to becoming a Counsellor, should be by Reading our Prospectus. You can Request our free Prospectus by completing the request form on our website REQUEST A PROSPECTUS
- Our Courses are Part-Time. With only one required classroom attendance day per month. These are always held on either a Saturday or Sunday, depending on your venue, between 10am-5pm
- We have training venues throughout the UK, you should find a venue in a location close to you.
- It is expected that you complete 8 hours of home study per week, this is generally, essays, assignments & case study work as well as reflective journals
- There are no exams throughout the duration of your study with Chrysalis
- You do not need to have had any previous experience or qualifications prior to commencing a Chrysalis Course
- You will have an allocated Tutor who you will have weekly access to.
- We have Hypnotherapy & Counselling Course options for you and you can undertake, 1,2 or 3 plus years of study depending on your goal.
- Our Recommended Course in the Level 5 Professional Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling Practise. This is our 3 plus year course with an integral work placement in the 3rd year. This course leads to full Accreditation as a Counsellor
- Our Courses are Accredited via the National Counselling Society & National Hypnotherapy Society
WHAT STANDARDS DO I HAVE TO MEET TO APPLY?
• Entry into our ﬁrst year is open to any adult who can demonstrate that they can understand the course materials, is ethical and responsible, and who wishes to make a difference to themselves and others by entering this ﬁeld. If you have a desire to grow and to help others, we welcome your application.
• Direct Entry onto our second year is possible if you have a Level 3 qualiﬁcation in counselling or some types of professional hypnotherapy qualiﬁcation.
• Entry onto our Level 6 course is normally at the point of passing our other courses.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Once you have submitted your application, our Enrolments Team will contact you either by phone or email within 48 hours to inform you of whether your application has been successful.
Due to the popularity of our courses, most interview days are over-subscribed so please therefore only apply if you are seriously interested. If you have any questions, please call us on 01278 401352 or refer to our website.
On successful acceptance from application you will be invited to Interview. Your Interview will take place at either your requested training venue or a venue in your area. Your Interview will be carried out by a Chrysalis Courses Interviewer. All of our Interviewers are Accredited Counsellors. You will be provided with an appointment time and the appointment will last 45 minutes. Please take with you any questions you have regarding our Courses. The interview is informal and is an opportunity to ask any questions you have, to gain insight from an expert in the Industry and a chance for us to get to know you. Please take with you a form of photographic ID to the interview
For more information on what to expect at Interview, please watch this informative video by our Course Interviewer May Williams
We have a responsibility to ensure that our students are safe, competent and ethical to undertake our training. This means that we need to protect not only yourself, but your fellow students and potential future clients by being as sure as possible that we only accept students on our training who are appropriate at the time of application.
If you are actively addicted to drugs or alcohol, or if you've been convicted of sexual offences, we cannot accept your application.
If you have a past history of addiction to drugs or alcohol; any criminal history; have been subject to any complaints procedures related to this ﬁeld; are recently bereaved; have been diagnosed mentally ill or are receiving medication for an emotional or psychological condition; have a serious physical illness or condition, are pregnant or epileptic - we may be able to accept your application but you must tell us in the declaration on the Application Form and enclose a covering letter which fully discloses your situation. For example, pregnancy and epilepsy may be contraindicated for hypnotherapy and so medical permission may be required; whereas certain classes of illness may have safety to practice issues which need to be assessed. We will make your enrolment decision on a case by case basis and will fully comply with all equality, diversity and disability regulations, where necessary taking independent advice.
APPLICATIONS FROM PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
We welcome your application. If you have a disability we hope that we will be able to adapt our training in any way possible that will assist you to complete our courses. We ensure our venues are almost invariably accessible and can facilitate the presence of guide dogs, support persons, and appropriate adaptations of the course materials where possible. Please let us know your requirements when applying and we can arrange a longer interview to discuss your needs.
UPON RECEIPT OF YOUR PROSPECTUS YOU ARE ABLE TO APPLY FOR A CHRYSALIS COURSE
HOW TO COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION
There are 3 methods in which you can apply for a Chrysalis Course:
• Online Application
• Hard Copy Application
• Call a member of the team & complete your application over the phone
To complete an application online please visit WWW.CHRYSALISCOURSES.AC.UK/APPLICATION
If you start your online application and are unable to complete & submit it then and there, any information entered will be stored for 14 days so you can return to complete this at a later date.
You will find a hard copy application form at the back of your Prospectus, complete and return the enclosed to our head office address.
30 Angel Crescent
Once we have received your application Chrysalis will process this and contact you detailing whether you have been successful and inviting you to book an Interview. Please be aware that this may take a little longer to receive conﬁrmation as we are reliant upon the postal service.
Call the Enrolments Team on 01278 401352 with any questions you may have, they will also be more than happy to complete an application with you over the phone. Once your application has been completed you will receive an email detailing whether you have been accepted and inviting you to book an Interview.
• As well as face to face work, you will be given a wide variety of regular assessed practical and theoretical modules.
• There is one homework assignment per month with an average of 30 hours reading and writing – approximately 8 hours per week.
• Many courses have practice groups which meet between modules.
• A personal tutor is available by phone in-between classes (at set contact times).
• Your client work will be appropriate to your chosen course and skill level and can range from supervised case studies to a placement depending on your chosen course.
• Our methods of assessing students are wide-ranging and fair, focusing on key practical skills. Chrysalis uses a system of independent second marking as well as using a highly qualified External Examiner to ensure quality and consistency.
• Each year, the final assessment is on your practical classroom work and work with clients and you will qualify if considered safe, ethical and competent at the level of your chosen course.
Yes. Chrysalis courses are fully accredited by either the National Counselling Society or National Hypnotherapy Society, which are both Accredited Register holders with the Professional Standards Authority.
It’s compulsory to join the Societies and maintain membership throughout training, as well as to join as a Registrant or Accredited Member on graduation (depending on course.) From there, you can progress to even higher levels of membership and recognition.
Joining a professional body gives our students a host of benefits, including; professional insurance and recognition, access to newsletters, journals and websites, peer support, reduced advertising rates and so on.
The Diploma in Counselling Skills & Theory (Dip CST.) is quality checked by the National Counselling Society. Our graduates join the NCS and gain Associate Membership upon completion.
The Level 5 Professional Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling Practice (Prof. Dip. PsyC) is fully accredited by the National Counselling Society – a prominent, national professional body. Our graduates may join the National Counselling Society as Accredited Members (MNCS Acc.) on completion of their courses. In addition, Chrysalis graduates, as members of our designated professional bodies, are eligible to join the Royal Society of Public Health (RSPH). If they progress professionally, senior members can become Fellows of the Royal Society of Public Health (FRSPH).
The Certificate in Hypnotherapy & Counselling Skills (Cert. Hyp CS) is fully accredited and recognised by the National Hypnotherapy Society, which is the UK's largest accrediting body for hypnotherapy and was instrumental in the establishment of National Occupational Standards for hypnotherapy. Our graduates join the HS as an automatic right as fully recognised, professional members ("MHS").
Will I be on an Accredited Register recognised by the Professional Standards Authority?
Yes. In 2010 the Government asked the Professional Standards Authority (which oversees organisations such as the General Medical Council, Health & Care Professions Council, and Nursing & Midwifery Council) to launch a system of Accredited Registers for professional associations who could meet the rigorous standards. The Accredited Register programme was launched in 2012 and it is now vital that counsellors and therapists are registered. The public is increasingly seeking only accredited registrants and the NHS is including the Accredited Register programme in its provision of services.
Chrysalis courses, where indicated, are your route to the all important status of being a Registrant on an Accredited Register which is now vital for your professional success.
Are Chrysalis Courses recognised by OFQUAL and are they on the RQF?
Yes. Where indicated, courses are recognised by OFQUAL via AIM Awards and are listed on the Regulated Qualifications Framework. Unlike other training providers who just issue their own “internal” qualifications, Chrysalis qualifications are externally recognised and credits can be transferred for further education.
You can see the full syllabus information for each course (using the course code) by searching the Ofqual Register.
On graduation from indicated courses, you will be eligible to gain accredited membership with the relevant bodies and, subject to terms and conditions, join an Accredited Register.
You’ll be able to use your qualifications as building blocks, taking your RQF credits elsewhere or progressing to Higher Education and postgraduate studies.
Career opportunities with a Chrysalis qualification can include; self-employment, whether working in a clinic or from home; employment in a variety of settings; enhancing your existing career; training and supervising, and a host of others. These opportunities can and should be combined to gain full use of your qualification.
It’s worth noting that job opportunities are generally available for counsellors. There are few employed jobs for hypnotherapists and although hypnotherapy has become more popular over the last few years the vast majority of hypnotherapists, therefore, work in private practice.
We can help you towards building a successful practice and ensure you understand all the relevant elements of using your qualification successfully.
Yes. Placements are compulsory within year 3 of our Level 5 Professional Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling Practice. You will need to achieve 100 hours of supervised practice.
Placements are arranged by the student, where supervision is not offered by the Placement Provider, students will need to arrange their own via The National Counselling Society. This is all fully explained within our 'Guide to Finding a Work Placement' provided to you during your studies.
Every person has a different experience to finding a placement, in essence, it’s the same as finding a new job as you need to apply, attend an interview and wait to be accepted.
There are many well-recognised organisations that have experience in the provision of placement opportunities and who have local branches. We advise you to write to these organisations as well as the smaller local centres for a greater chance of a response. It is also important for you to be flexible. You may prefer to work in a particular setting but the wider your application process the better the chances of success, it will also broaden your experience and chances are you will enjoy it.
Make sure you update your C.V and adapt your covering letters. It is better to tailor your C.V to the needs of the provider than to send out a generic application. We also recommend that you check Notice-boards and bulletins on Counselling Websites.
There are many different options when it comes to placements; the key is to decide where you want to go within the profession. We recommend that for support and guidance you should always initially approach your Tutor. We have a secondary support system at Head Office that can support your administrative needs, you can access us via our placement email address email@example.com.
Chrysalis will update the website as and when placement opportunities arrive and what placement providers we recommend.
Returning to study is a big decision, there are many things to consider. One of which is how affordable the course options are and how you will manage your payments.
Our core course offers 3 qualiﬁcations, with routes to 2 Accredited Registers. With ﬂexible payment options available, we are conﬁdent that our fees are extremely affordable and manageable regardless of your ﬁnancial situation. Studying with Chrysalis can lead to earning potential in a new career within a year.
Studying for just 1 year on our Level 3 Counselling & Hypnotherapy Skills certiﬁcate will provide you with a route to the National Hypnotherapy Society's Accredited Register to start practicing as a Hypnotherapist. If you wish to further your qualiﬁcation into Counselling you are able to do this alongside practicing as a Hypnotherapist, using your income to help you further fund your study.
Our courses are all part-time, attendance only being required one Saturday or Sunday per month between 10am and 5pm. This means that all other study is home study, set at an average of 8 hours per week. This approach to study enables you to maintain employment and study with us simultaneously. This structure has been set up to help create a more realistic ﬁnancially viable solution to returning to study.
As part of your course fees you will have access to study on the Chrysalis Moodle VLE (Virtual Learning Environment), this will allow you to study when convenient to you as well as giving you access to short study skills courses free of charge. Examples of our study skills include, How to write an essay, How to write a learning journal and How to prepare for studying.
We have ﬂexible payment plans set up so you can make monthly manageable instalments throughout the duration of your study. You also have the option to discuss with the team your ﬁnancial situation and for us to adapt our payment plans to ﬁnd the most suitable option for you. We want to help support all potential students achieve their dream of returning to study, without fearing ﬁnancial obstacles. We are here to support and guide you through.
Chrysalis Courses are not currently registered for Government Funding. This means that all potential students will need to be able to self fund our courses.
If you are unable to personally fund the course, you could look to secure a bank loan. Chrysalis will happily provide a Covering Letter to help support your loan application.
Any payment queries can be discussed with your Course Interviewer at Interview.
Additional costs include your purchase of required texts and your travel expenses.
You will be required to join the relevant Professional Associations for your chosen courses and must pay their separate membership fees (currently these are £90-£100 per year) throughout your studies.
Students wishing to register with AIM Awards to receive AIM/Ofqual certification are required to pay a small separate fee on enrolment (currently £65 for year one) and for each year thereafter they require an AIM certificate.
If you’re on the 3 year Level 5 Professional Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling Practice you might need to budget, further down your studies, for the costs of having supervision, as not all placements provide supervision, although lots of them do.