Stop Smoking With Hypnotherapy
Can you really stop smoking using Hypnosis?
The short answer is YES … and, in fact, you are 10 times more likely to give up if you use hypnosis to help you. And stopping smoking is a fantastic idea – smoking increases your risk of developing a wide range of serious health problems and illnesses and is considered to be the greatest single cause of premature death in the UK.
Smoking facts and figures:
- There are around 10 million adults who smoke cigarettes in the UK.
- About 100,000 people in Britain die every year from smoking-related illnesses.
- Roughly half of all smokers die prematurely due to smoking-related diseases.
- The life expectancy of a smoker is about 10 years less than that of a non-smoker.
- In the UK, only about half of long-term smokers live past the age of 70.
- Around 17,000 children under the age of five are admitted to hospitals every year because of passive smoking-related illnesses. Babies in smoking households are also more vulnerable to dying from cot death.
- Smoking-related illnesses include lung cancer, heart disease, other cancers including mouth, throat, blood, cervix and pancreatic cancer, infertility problems and gum disease.
So, giving up really is a no brainer!
When will you start to feel the benefits of giving up?
The answer is … almost immediately. There is sometimes the idea that, if you have been smoking for a long time, it’s too late to think about stopping. That isn’t the case … and the benefits of not smoking kick in much quicker than you would imagine.
For example, even after only 20 minutes, your heart rate and blood pressure drops back to normal.
Other benefits include the following:
- After 8 hours, your oxygen levels begin to return to normal and nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in your blood decrease by over 50%
- After 72 hours, your lungs begin to relax and breathing should be easier. Nicotine has been completely eliminated from your body, so this can be a peak time for withdrawal – which hypnotherapy can help with.
- After two weeks, your circulation and lung function increases.
- After a year, the risk of heart disease reduces significantly by around 50%
- In 5 years, your stroke risk is also significantly reduced and blood clots become less likely as vessels widen.
- After 10 years, your risk of lung cancer is reduced by 50% and certain other cancers (eg of the mouth, throat, oesophagus and pancreas) become far less likely.
- In 15 years, your risk of developing heart disease is the same as that of a non-smoker.
- After 20 years, for women, the risk of dying of a smoking-related disease is now the same as for someone who has never smoked. Generally, the risk of developing pancreatic cancer is now equivalent to that of a non-smoker.
How does hypnosis help?
Hypnotherapy is a really good way of re-programming habit-type behaviour because it speaks to your sub-conscious – and ‘unpicks’ the emotional and behavioural associations that smoking has for you. These associations and connections are different for different people – personalised sessions get to the root of what smoking means to you … and replaces that with new healthier connections.
It is important that you really want to stop for yourself, however. It is difficult to stay motivated if you are doing it simply to placate someone else.
Health aside, another big motivating factor can be cost. Stopping smoking could buy an annual family holiday, with a 20/day habit costing over £4,000 each year. If you are giving up, put that money aside and see how quickly it mounts up – it will surprise you!
There are only benefits to stopping smoking – better health, more energy, more money, nicer-smelling clothes.
So, what is stopping you..?
Find out more
If you’re considering becoming a hypnotherapist, our hypnotherapy courses will help you develop the skills and experience you need to help others stop smoking and other addictive habits. If you're looking to learn more before deciding which course is right for you, see how to become a hypnotherapist with Chrysalis Courses. Alternatively, please get in touch if you require any further information or have any questions.